I am an Australian artist, born in Broken Hill, New South Wales but now living in Perth, Western Australia. My early artistic influence was watching my father working with leather to make belts, bags, saddles and more… The finishing touches of the intricate carved designs on each item were what interested me the most, and I spent many hours copying the designs, and drawing, painting and being creative in whatever ways I could.
Although I wanted to study graphic design when I left high school, I was encouraged to learn “something more reliable” so I did secretarial studies instead. However I never lost my love for art and enrolled in many courses, including oil painting, pottery, and drawing.
At one stage I thought I’d like to be a high school art teacher so I commenced studies for that but realised at the end of the first year that it wasn’t quite what I wanted to do. So I continued experimenting with art and developing my skills in the medium of watercolour which I was taught while I was studying to be an art teacher. Watercolour soon became my favourite medium. You can read more about my influences and my style of work in my Artist Statement.
After many years of juggling office based work with my art (painting, attending courses, and teaching beginners and ongoing students), I am finally following my dream of being a full-time Artist. I am so happy to be sharing this with you as I believe I have so much to offer, including watercolour painting classes and workshops, a regular blog, and a monthly newsletter where I’ll share all sorts of news and tips. I now enjoy a very happy combination of painting for myself and teaching others to enjoy painting too.
Thank you for taking an interest in my art. Please follow me on Instagram and Facebook (Renata Wright Art). I look forward to sharing more with you over time.
WATERCOLOUR AWARDS, EXHIBITIONS AND EDUCATION
- 2019 Joondalup Community Art Awards – Best Body of Work on Display
- 2018 Watercolour Society of WA – Best Painting in Special Category – “Reflections”
- 2016 Watercolour Society of WA – Highly Commended Award
- 2015 Watercolour Society of WA – Best Painting in “General” Category
- 2014 York Art Awards – Best Watercolour and Highly Commended Awards
- 2013 Dalwallinu Arts Festival – Acquisition Art Prize
- 2013 Watercolour Society of WA – Highly Commended Award
- 2013 Cervantes Art Awards – Highly Commended Award
- 2012 Watercolour Society of WA Annual Awards – Highly Commended Award
- 2011 Dalwallinu Arts Festival, Watercolour Section – First Prize
- 2011 Dalwallinu Arts Festival, Best Art Entry
- 2010 Cervantes Art Festival, Watercolour Section – 1st Prize.
- 2010 Watercolour Society of WA Annual Art Awards – Highly Commended Award.
- 2009 Riseborough Fini Olives Inaugural Annual Acquisitive Art Award – 2nd Prize
- 2008 Watercolour Society of WA – Honourable Mention
- 2005 Float design competition for RAC/Channel 7 Christmas Pageant – 1st Prize
- 2005 Rockingham Regional Art Award – Highly Commended Award
- 1996 Leonora Art Prize Inc – Best Local Watercolour
- 1992 Leonora Art Prize Inc – Highly Commended Award
- 2013 “Brief Moments of Sanity”, blend(er) Gallery, Joondalup, Western Australia (dual exhibition with artist Harry Davies)
- 2010 “Colour In Continents”, Gingin, Western Australia (dual exhibition with artist Sandra Bishop)
- 2007 “Wingin’ It”, blend(er) Gallery, Joondalup, Western Australia
- 2002 “Getting My Bearings”, Yanchep, Western Australia
- 1997 “The Middle of Nowhere”, Leinster, Western Australia
- 1991 “Scenes That Make You Go Hmmm…!”, Norseman, Western Australia
- 2015 -Five days of watercolour workshops with John Lovett, hosted by the Watercolour Society of WA
- 2015 – Five days of watercolour portrait workshops with Cherry Hood at Cairns Art Escape, Cairns, Queensland
- 2014 – Five days of watercolour classes with Greg Allen, one of Australia’s finest watercolour artists, hosted by the Watercolour Society of WA
- 2013 – Five days of watercolour painting classes with Mike Ferris – watercolour artist and teacher – at the Cairns Art Escape, Cairns, Queensland
- 2012 – Weekend workshop with Tony Smibert, world renowned Australian watercolour artist and teacher
- 2012 – Full Week of painting workshops with Robert Wade, Terry Lewitzka, and Lorraine Lewitzka – all prominent Australian watercolour artists and teachers
- 2011 – Full Day workshop with Alvaro Castagnet – prominent watercolour artist from Uruguay
- 1997 – 2008 Ongoing community art and craft lessons including watercolours, oils, acrylics, life drawing, mosaics, leadlighting, and pottery
- 1992 – 1997 Foundation Studies 1,2,3 (Painting) in Certificate of Art & Craft 10163, Curtin University of Technology, Kalgoorlie, WA (classes held in Leinster).
- 1992 – 1997 Materials & Methods (Painting) in Certificate of Art & Craft with Kalgoorlie College, held in Leinster.
- 1992 – 1997 Materials & Methods (Drawing) in Certificate of Art & Craft with Kalgoorlie College, held in Leinster.
- 1988 One year of Bachelor of Education majoring in Art, at Avondale College, New South Wales.