Painting Classes and Workshops
Would you like to learn how to paint with watercolours? Do you have a favourite subject you’d like to paint such as landscapes, seascapes, flowers, animals, people, or even abstracts? I can help you unleash your creative side and start a new passion you never thought you had. Contact me today to enrol in a one-day workshop or my next term of watercolour painting classes.
September / October Watercolour Workshops
Fri 06 September – Pen and Wash
Learn how to combine ink and watercolour in a fun and easy way. A great method to learn if you like travelling and would like to sketch scenes along the way. Suitable for all skill levels.
Sat 07 September – Aussie Outback Landscape
We live in such a beautiful country, so why not capture it in our art? In this workshop I’ll show you how to create stunning skies, textured gum trees, and the extra bits that make our landscapes unique. BYO picture to paint from or choose from one of mine. Suitable for all skill levels.
Mon 16 September – Skies
Explore different ways of presenting skies. You will go home with four paintings – a stormy sky, a blue sky with fluffy clouds, a sunrise, and a sunset. Suitable for all skill levels.
Thu 19 September – Absolute Beginners
Learn the basics of watercolour – how to hold a brush, which brush to use, how much water to use, how to mix paints, how to simplify your subjects, and more… A great way to get started on watercolours before joining a term of classes. Beginners Only.
Sat 21 and Sun 22 September – Full Sheet Weekend Masterclass
Suitable for artists who would like to get out of their comfort zone and try a full watercolour sheet (55 cm x 75 cm). You can bring your own subject to paint and over the two days I’ll help you plan your composition, choose your colours, and complete your painting from start to finish. A challenge you’ll really enjoy – I promise! Medium to Advanced skill levels only.
Wed 02 October – Flowers, Insects, Water Drops
Choose your own flower scene and make it come alive with some extra fun bits including insects and water droplets. Suitable for all skill levels.
Sun 06 October – Fun with Watercolour on Yupo Paper
Everything you’ve learned about watercolour is turned upside in this really exciting workshop. If you are a control freak, Yupo paper will change all that! It’s very different to watercolour paper but the fun you’ll have with it is amazing. Suitable for all skill levels.
Thu 10 October – Paint a Portrait of a Family Member
Choose one of your favourite family members and paint their portrait. You will learn how to draw correct face proportions, mix the correct skin colours, and capture individual personality in this workshop. Suitable for all skill levels.
Sat 12 October – Inspirations from Nature – Abstract/Mixed Media
In this workshop we will use nature to inspire our inner artist, creating abstract images with watercolour and other mediums such as ink, pencils, paper cutouts, and more… Suitable for all skill levels.
Cost – $105 for the one-day workshops, $200 for the two-day workshop (does not include equipment)
Time – 9.30 am to 3.30 pm with 30 mins break for lunch. Tea, coffee and biscuits supplied. BYO Lunch
Venue – Unit 1a/31 Berriman Drive, Wangara
Contact me on 0450 524 229 or firstname.lastname@example.org to book in.
Watercolour Classes – Oct/Nov/Dec 2019 – 6 weeks
Monday mornings – 9.30 am to 12.00 noon – BEGINNERS
28 Oct, 04, 11, 18, 25 Nov, 02 Dec
Wednesday nights – 6.30 pm to 9.00 pm
30 Oct, 06, 13, 20, 27 Nov, 04 Dec
Friday mornings – 9.30 am to 12 noon
01, 08, 15, 22, 29 Nov, 06 Dec
Saturday mornings – 9.30 am to 12.00 noon
02, 09, 16, 23, 30 Nov, 07 Dec
Saturday afternoons – 12.30 to 3.00 pm
02, 09, 16, 23, 30 Nov, 07 Dec
Cost – $190 for 6 weeks (less $20 for ongoing students)
Venue – The Orange Palette, Unit 1a/31 Berriman Drive, Wangara
Numbers limited! Contact me on 0450 524 229 or email@example.com to enrol.
Private Painting Lessons
I also teach private watercolor painting classes, for those aspiring artists who don’t like being confined to a class environment, or whose work requirements are not that flexible. If you are interested in private one-to-one watercolour lessons, the cost (including materials, and payable in advance) is:
$120 for 2 hours
$160 for 3 hours
$190 for 4 hours
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me on 0450 524 229 to book your first session.
Painting Classes FAQs
- Do I need any experience to attend your watercolour painting classes? This is the most common question I am asked. No, you do not need any experience at all to attend my classes. My classes are designed so that you can follow along step by step when you are new to watercolour and later as you progress, I encourage you step outside of your comfort zone and experiment with colours, shapes, brush strokes etc to develop your own style.
- Is watercolour a difficult medium to work with? Yes and no. The only difficult thing about watercolour painting is that you need to plan a little bit more because watercolour does not allow you to make too many mistakes. I do share my tips on how to correct mistakes so you have nothing to worry about though. Watercolour can actually be quite easy to work with as its unpredictability can actually be a wonderful happy asset when painting, which means it often does the work for you without you even realising it!
- What benefits will I receive from painting in watercolour? The sky’s the limit with what you can achieve once you start painting in watercolour. The learning journey itself can be such a pleasure because you suddenly notice things differently around you and you start to wonder how you will paint something – what colours you’d use, how you’d capture the light and the shadow etc. It’s amazing how painting can be great for your health. Painting can be so therapeutic and you’ll find you’ll get lost in your own world at times as you squeeze out your paints, mix with your brush and dab, splash and stroke away. The social aspects are fantastic too. Many friendships have been formed in my classes, and everyone is helpful and supportive. You’ll feel like part of a family in my classes.
- Should I be able to draw first before I attend painting classes? No, it’s not absolutely necessary. At each class I hand out the picture that we’ll be painting from in the following class. That will give you a week to draw the picture at home so that you can get straight into painting once you come to class the following week. I give advice on how to draw the tricky bits and make changes so that the picture is more interesting. Most of my pictures are adaptable which means you can leave out parts that are too hard to draw and you can add other bits instead. For example, if we are painting the ocean, you could leave out any people on the beach and just add a seagull or two in the sky.
- I’m nervous when painting around others. How friendly are the other students? My classes, whilst remaining structured, are also informal and friendly. Everyone is made to feel welcome and everyone works at their own pace so there’s no pressure to turn out a masterpiece every time. I have noticed too, that students love to share information with others so if you’re stuck on anything, your painting neighbour is more than likely to tell you about a time when they had the same problem and how they fixed it! We have lots of laughs in our class, and yet there are also moments of silence when each person has their head down in deep concentration.
- Are the watercolor painting classes just for women or can men attend too? My classes are for men AND women, regardless of age, experience, and background. The men who attend my classes are sometimes outnumbered but they never feel left out or intimidated. In fact, most of them enjoy having so many women around them and there is often lots of “women vs men” banter thrown about!